Sad day in the world of music. Lead vocalist for one of my favorite band, Linkin Park, Chester Bennington decided it was easier for him to die than to go on living his life. Apparently he hung himself. Reports say that he dealt with depression and substance abuse. I hate that for him and his family. Please lift them up in your thoughts and prayers. He was a unique and amazing voice in the muddled business of music/rock music. From his collaboration with Jay-Z to his fronting the band Stone Temple Pilots (Another one of my all time favs), in place for the late Scott Weiland on their most recent tour, he always gave everything to their fans and on the stage.
Suicide isn't a fix. It's not an answer. It creates more strife, more hurt and devastation for those around you. If you are dealing with depression or substance abuse or thought of ending it all, get help. Tell someone you trust. Talk to a friend or loved one. Speak up and speak out about what you are feeling and thinking. There is help out there and you CAN get through this. One day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, one second at a time. You can do this.
If you or someone you know is dealing with thoughts of suicide call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1(800)273-8255 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Chester seems so optimistic just days ago.
Signs to lookk for in someone who may be contiplating suicide.
Suicide is not a mental illness in itself, but a serious potential consequence of treatable mental disorders that include major depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, substance use disorders, and anxiety disorderslike bulimia and anorexia nervosa.
Suicide Warning Signs
Any of the following could be potential warning signs for suicide:
- Excessive sadness or moodiness: Long-lasting sadness, mood swings, and unexpected rage.
- Hopelessness: Feeling a deep sense of hopelessness about the future, with little expectation that circumstances can improve.
- Sleep problems.
- Sudden calmness: Suddenly becoming calm after a period of depression or moodiness can be a sign that the person has made a decision to end his or her life.
- Withdrawal: Choosing to be alone and avoiding friends or social activities also are possible symptoms of depression, a leading cause of suicide. This includes the loss of interest or pleasure in activities the person previously enjoyed.
- Changes in personality and/or appearance: A person who is considering suicide might exhibit a change in attitude or behavior, such as speaking or moving with unusual speed or slowness. In addition, the person might suddenly become less concerned about his or her personal appearance.
- Dangerous or self-harmful behavior: Potentially dangerous behavior, such as reckless driving, engaging in unsafe sex, and increased use of drugs and/or alcohol might indicate that the person no longer values his or her life.
- Recent trauma or life crisis: A major life crises might trigger a suicide attempt. Crises include the death of a loved one or pet, divorce or break-up of a relationship, diagnosis of a major illness, loss of a job, or serious financial problems.
- Making preparations: Often, a person considering suicide will begin to put his or her personal business in order. This might include visiting friends and family members, giving away personal possessions, making a will, and cleaning up his or her room or home. Some people will write a note before committing suicide. Some will buy a firearm or other means like poison.
- Threatening suicide: From 50% to 75% of those considering suicide will give someone -- a friend or relative -- a warning sign. However, not everyone who is considering suicide will say so, and not everyone who threatens suicide will follow through with it. Every threat of suicide should be taken seriously.
Check out this new song that the band just released this morning.
Check out one of my favorite live performances from Linkin Park of "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You featuring a surprise Jay-Z appearance.
Linkin Park hit the music scene in a HUGE way, in 2003, with their album Hybrid Theory And Reanimation and "One Step Closer".